Some more practical and delicious 'Lockdown recipes' for you to try
Caroline from Coco & Roses has put together a couple more recipes for us to try - they could be worth doing for picnic lunches with the weather the way that it is at the moment!
LOCKDOWN ENERGY BARS
Inspired by Lisa Faulkner
90g/6 tbsp maple syrup (you can also use honey/date syrup etc)
90g/6 tbsp golden syrup
100g crushed cereal/granola/nuts/seeds – mix it up!
150g chopped dried fruit – I used goji berries/apricots/dates
· Melt butter with syrups and take off heat
· Mix together the dry ingredients and then pour in hot syrup
· Stir well until every ingredient is coated
· Line baking tray and fill with mixture, using the back of spoon push it into the corners and flatten down.
· Bake for 20 mins and then leave to cook in the tray for a further 20 mins to cool completely. Cut into bars
If you are freezing – cut bars and freeze flat & once frozen pack into a lined tupperware – take out and leave to defrost before eating!
(Makes about 1lt)
You can make this with any citrus fruit/combination
500ml of citrus juice + zest if you wish: lemon/orange/grapefruit/lime
650g granulated sugar
· Mix juice with water and add sugar
· Bring to the boil and leave it on a rolling boil for approximately 10 minutes or until the mixture has thickened. Whisk as necessary, to make sure all the sugar dissolves.
· Pour through a sieve to catch any bits and leave to cool.
· Pour into containers – will keep for up to 1 month in fridge.
Dilute 1 part cordial to 3 parts water – or better still, with vodka, fizzy water, crushed ice & mint!
ANYTHING GOES – QUICHE
(Feeds 4-6 people)
1 pack of ready rolled pastry – puff or shortcrust
Gently fried bacon/chorizo
Partly cooked broccoli/peas/veg
6 eggs whisked with a bit of milk, salt & pepper
2 handfuls of grated cheese
· Roll out pastry and fit into flat tin and bake blind for approx 10mins at 200oC.
· Remove from oven and spread pesto on base and scatter sautéed onions/leeks, bacon/chorizo, veg, grated cheese.
· Place filled tin on a large baking tray and then fill with egg mixture (I do this in case the mixture leaks out of the tin – much easier to clean a tray rather than the bottom of the oven!)
· Bake for approx 20 mins until well risen and pastry is cooked – at 200/220oC.
Salt & Pepper
Cooked Bacon/Chorizo bits
Finely chopped Spring Onions
· Cook your potatoes wedges as normal and then top with cheese & bacon/chorizo and return to the oven until cheese has melted.
· Serve with spring onions, jalapeños peppers & sour cream.
Grapevine is a trusted network of private members, linking kindred spirits from town or country. Members promote, sell or buy goods and services within the network.
Grapevine also believes in supporting young people to get a strong start through internships and work placements. We also help a number of charities including Heads Together and The Injured Jockeys Fund.